Author of this Website: Dr. Shawna Darou, ND
Dr. Shawna Darou, ND is a licensed and registered Naturopathic Doctor, who graduated from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (www.ccnm.edu ) at the top of her class and was the recipient of the prestigious Governor’s Medal of Excellence. She is a member of the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors, the Canadian Naturopathic Association and the Institute of Naturopathic Education and Research. Naturopathic medicine is her second career, her first being Engineering Chemistry from Queen’s University. She now uses her analytical brain and problem solving skills especially in the complicated arena of hormonal health, and in solving health puzzles.
Dr. Shawna Darou ND is a specialist in women’s health care and fertility who has been treating women in her Toronto clinic since 2004. She is a dedicated and caring doctor with a gentle approach who is committed to the health of her patients.
Outside of the office, Dr. Darou is the mother of two beautiful children who inspire her to evolve the medical model in order to reform healthcare for the next generation.
We aim to provide top quality service, and naturopathic care that is evidence-based, gentle and natural.
Our Approach to medicine comes from the understanding that all of our body systems are interconnected. We can no longer simply treat a symptom without looking at the whole. Today, medicine as we know it sits at a crossroad. At one end is a traditional model, that continues to treat illness by prescribing drugs that mostly suppress or mask symptoms. On the other end of the spectrum is a form of medicine that seeks to understand root causes of illness and how to restore balance.
Our approach is to first understand a patient’s health issues by taking a detailed, and thorough health history and analysis. This includes: 1) a complete patient history to discuss past and current health issues; 2) a complaint-oriented physical exam; and 3) appropriate lab testing to confirm an imbalance or diagnosis.
Treatment begins once we understand clearly what is to be treated. We don’t believe in the use of protocols, but rather in treating each patient as an individual. Treatment includes the use of safe, effective, and well studied natural medicines, as well as nutritional and lifestyle recommendations.
Follow-up care with our patients is aimed at empowering them to learn how to take care of their own health in the future. We encourage questions, and hope that through our interactions, our patients are become more educated in how to maintain a healthy body for the long term.
How this approach is different:
- We spend much more time with you, especially during the initial intake, listening to your health concerns and thoroughly reviewing your health as a whole.
- We encourage questions and dialogue from our patients, and we welcome patients to bring their own research and experiences, and to have questions for us.
- We do not prescribe drugs. Instead, we use natural medicines such as herbs, vitamins, minerals and nutraceuticals.
- Our methods are non-invasive and have minimal, if any harmful side effects, unlike prescription drugs.
- We believe in diagnostic testing. We offer conventional labs and bloodwork, as well as other testing not typically offered through traditional family medicine.